For the first Quarter, the book list is minimal:
· Oliver Sacks, Seeing Voices: A Journey Into the World of the Deaf, 1990/2000
· Joel Spring, The American School: From the Puritans to No Child Left Behind, 7th edition, 2008
· Barbara Rogoff, The Cultural Nature of Human Development, 2003 – selected chapters
· Carol Tavris & Elliott Aronson, Mistakes Were Made (but not by me), 2007 – selected chapters
· James E. Zull, The Art of Changing the Brain: Enriching the Practice of Teaching by Exploring the Biology of Learning, 2002
· John Bransford et al. (editors), How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School, 2000 –chapters 2-3 (purchase PDF version on-line @ http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=9853)
· *Elizabeth G. Cohen, Designing Groupwork: Strategies for the Heterogeneous Classroom, 2nd edition, 1994
· *Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish, How to Talk So Kids will Listen & Listen So Kids will Talks, 1999.
· George Counts, Dare the School Build a New Social Order?, 1932/1978
· B.F. Skinner, Beyond Freedom and Dignity, 1971
· Jerome S. Bruner, The Process of Education, 1960/1963/1977
· Rethinking Schools magazine to-be-distributed in program
So. This should be interesting…
I am now halfway through the worst of the class load for summer session. On target to get everything accomplished first session… and staying on track for the meeting and all. Mostly. The office is still a shambles… Pics later.