Created by stidmama on 11 Mar 2012 | Tagged as:
Master in Teaching. The Evergreen State College: June 2011.
Endorsements: Elementary, Mid-Level Humanities, Reading.
B.A., Liberal Arts. The Evergreen State College: June 1990.
Certification and Memberships
- Washington State Teacher Certification # 481459F
- International Reading Association, National Council of Teachers of English, National Council for the Social Studies, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- 4-MAT training, July 2011; online webinar series with Dr. McCarthy, originator of the 4-MAT strategy for lesson planning.
- National Council for the Social Studies 2012 Convention in Seattle; attended sessions including reaching students with special needs, assessment and grading strategies, using technology in the classroom, and incorporating music into social studies.
- (registered for) June 2013 “Daily Five” and “Cafe” workshops in Tacoma, WA. The Daily Cafe website and books suggest ways to teach and assess language arts and mathematics.
2011 October – Current
- Substitute Teacher ESD 113, and Mary M Knight, Pioneer, Rainier and Shelton School Districts, WA
From January 2013 to March 2013 taught 7th grade mathematics for approximately 11 weeks as a long-term substitute. Four classes of 7th grade mathematics, one elective and a half-hour extension period.
2011 March – June
- Student Teacher, Griffin School, 5thgrade, Olympia, WA.
- Developed 3-week Poetry Unit aligned with Washington State standards
- Taught 4-week United States Revolution Unit culminating in student reports and presentations to parents
2010 Sept – November
- Student Teacher, Meeker Middle School, 7thGrade Language Arts, Tacoma, WA.
- Developed 5-week storytelling unit that incorporated reading, listening, research, writing, and presentation skills
- Implemented weekly “Readers Workshop” focusing on student awareness and use of comprehension strategies
2010 January – June
- Teaching Practicum, Oakland Bay Junior High, 8th Grade Language Arts, Shelton, WA.
2007 Sept – June 2008
- Volunteer, Parkside Elementary, 1st Grade, Tenino, WA.
2006 January – Current
- Volunteer, Griffin School, 1st – 8thgrades, Olympia, WA.
- 6th grade: Creative writing development and instruction: narrative, poetry, “micro-literature” and history classes
- 7th grade: language arts/history classes
- 8th grade: gardening/science class
- 1st grade: beginning reader support, one-on-one
Publications and Presentations
- Access to opportunity: Some digital literacy issues in education. The related presentation was done using Prezi.com
- March 2011, Master’s Paper Presentation
Master’s Paper, internal conference proceedings, The Evergreen State College
TwitLit An introduction to short, SMS-length writing (140 characters). This is a Haiku Deck presentation, created on an ipad and uploaded. An adjacent deck I created demonstrates the process I go through when distilling information for a specific audience. At many more pages and less fluid, I abandoned that one in favor of this.