I am going to start a new category on my blog. Sometimes, as I am reading “stuff” I see things that I don’t really want to blog about, but I think you would find interesting. Here, you will discover quotes, articles or other things that generally fall into one of the categories I often write about, but that isn’t my own work.

Up first, from the Natural History magazine we get along with our Pacific Science Center membership, is a blurb from “Blue Planet Blues,” the first article in Water, the Wellspring of Life (November 2007, volume 116, number 9, page 29):

Despite all the water in the world, only a small fraction is available to us and other species that depend on freshwater. Salty seas account for more than 97 percent of the water on Earth. Of the remaining 3 percent or so, at least two-thirds is tied up in glaciers, ice caps, and permafrost, or else lies deep underground, of little use to those of us living on the land above. ~ Eleanor J Sterling

This entire issue of the magazine is devoted to water: its sources, scarcity and conservation. How do we balance our needs for water with the needs of the rest of the planet?

Leave Your Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.